Monday, April 1, 2013

Finally....

   
          So I'm finally feeling better! These past couple of days have been rough so I haven't felt like getting on the computer and also I was in bed most of the time and didn't really have much to say. Everyone on this trip is so helpful and I couldn't have picked a better group to go with! Today though I felt much better and was able to get out of bed and actually go and enjoy the wonderful city of Istanbul!
         Our hotel is amazing! It is very small but very nice. It is right in the Sultanhamet part of Istanbul which is the historic part with all of the large mosques. the rooftop has an amazing view of the city. We walk about 4 blocks and we are at the Grand Bazaar, the Haggia Sophia, the Blue Mosque, and the Biscilica Cistern, and the biggest Hooka Bar you have ever seen!
 The Grand Bazaar
 The Blue Mosque
 Biggest Hookah Bar Ever
 The Haggia Sophia

         Yesterday the students went to all of those places but I was in bed with food poisoning so I missed out. Fortunately I will get to back later during the week!
          Today started off with a tour of the Topkapi Palace. Topkapi Palace is located right next to the Haggia Sophia right on the Bosphorus River. The palace is giant and it took us a couple of hours to see everything in it! Below is a picture of a model of the palace so maybe you can get a sense of how big it is.

        Afterwards we had a quick lunch (I am still not eating much and therefore had to miss out on what looked like delicious food), and then headed off to Fatih University to meet the students we are working with on out Sociology project. My students are Tuba and Zeynep and they are both wonderful! They answered all of my questions and are just great to be around.

          We all met back up on the coast of Agean Sea and had fresh mussels taken straight out of the sea and then cooked right by it. I knew my stomach wouldn't like it but I had to try them and they were delicious! Next to the mussels were sunflower seeds and the Turkish people love them! I never realized sunflower seeds were anywhere but the U.S. Just a reminder to never make assumptions about other cultures.
          After that we had a nice dinner and now we are back in the hotel all completely wiped out but somehow still sitting here on our computers and phones. Well, just a few more things that I found interesting.
          We had ice cream our first night in Istanbul and we had to play a game for it. The vendor did many "magic" tricks with our ice cream before we were eventually able to snatch it away. It was very entertaining and a lot of fun.

           Also, you will never meet a friendlier people than the Turks! They are the nicest, most caring, (and can I say handsome), human beings I have ever met! When I was sick if anyone ever heard about it they would do whatever they could to make me feel better. I have never met anyone more hospitable and it makes my time here all the better.
          One last thing... the driving here is absolutely ridiculous. The Turkish people are very nice people until they get in a car and you are in their way. They are not afraid to use that horn. Traffic rules do not apply in Turkey, you do whatever you feel like doing to get where you need to go. Who cares if the street says "One Way?" I am going up it anyway. It is very nerve wracking to be in a car in Istanbul.
          Well, that's all for today! Hopefully, I will be able to post again tomorrow. We will be taking a cruise on the Bosphorus River and then visiting the Asian side of Istanbul!

No comments:

Post a Comment