Wednesday, April 3, 2013

What a day!

 It has been a jam packed day! I started off the day by going to the Basilica Cistern, the Haggia Sophia, the Blue Mosque, and then the Grand Bazaar. We ended the day with an amazing dessert and one of the best views of Istanbul.
 I got up bright and early this morning and headed off to the Basilica Cistern with Ann (the wonderful woman who stayed with me on Sunday). The Cistern was built in 500 A.D. and was basically a giant well for the Sultanhamet part of the city. The pillars that hold it up do not match because they are pillars taken from conquered cities. There are 2 Medusa heads that are said to be there for protection but I really just think that  they needed something to make the pillars taller. There is only about 2 feet of water left in the Cistern now, but tours used to be taken by canoe which I think would be much cooler then walking.
 The water way
 The Medusa Head

 After the Cistern I went to the Haggia Sophia. The Haggia Sophia was built before the Blue Mosque and in my opinion much more impressive. The Haggia Sophia was built in 537 A.D. and has beautiful mosaics all over. The only reason that the mosaics have been preserved that long is because when Istanbul was taken over and converted from Christianity to Islamic the Haggia Sophia was turned into a mosque. Ina mosque no pictures depicting any scene from the bible are allowed, no pictures of anything really, so the mosaics of the different figures of the bible were covered up. The tile put over the mosaics actually help preserve them all this time. My time in the Haggia Sophia was the first time that I ever felt like I was in an actual ancient ruin.
 The ceiling (you can see where some of the mosaics were ruined)
Upstairs (I know. Just turn your head sideways)
 I ended off my morning with another visit to the Blue Mosque (I had to leave the last time). The Blue Mosque was built to show up the Haggia Sophia, but I don't think they really accomplished it. Although the outside looks much bigger, the Blue Mosque is much smaller inside compared to the Haggia Sophia. The Blue Mosque is still a working Mosque so shoes had to be taken off and heads covered. They gave blue scarves to any guy or girl who was wearing anything that did not cover the whole leg. The Blue Mosque was given its name for the blue tile all over.
 The prayer section
The blue tile on every wall
 After the Blue Mosque hours were spent in the Grand Bazaar shopping and we are going back tomorrow morning. Many many gifts were bought, but there are still more to get! 
 After dinner tonight we went to our favorite restaurant for dessert. The people are so nice and brought us free tea and fruit. Turkish people are so hospitable! Well we tried an amazing dessert called Kunefe. It's a cream and cheese pastry that was absolutely delicious. Unfortunately no pictures because it was eaten too fast. However, I did get some blurry pictures of the view we were looking at while eating this awesome dessert.

 It was an amazing ending to an amazing day! Well its early shopping tomorrow and then off to another University! I'm excited to meet some more students! It should be a good day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment